Since the release of Tony Buzan’s bestselling book, Use Your Head, the Mind Mapping technique has become a tool renowned for boosting productivity, creativity and memory. Known to millions as the Inventor of Mind Mapping, Tony Buzan has helped people around the globe unlock their creativity and overcome the limits of traditional linear note-taking methods. To celebrate 40 years since the release of Use Your Head, ThinkBuzan have decided to look back at Tony Buzan’s magnificent Mind Mapping journey highlights. Take a look at our top 10:
2. The BBC made a ten-episode series based around Tony Buzan’s book, Use Your Head, that same year, throwing Tony and Mind Mapping into the spotlight. The series was an unprecedented success and was repeatedly shown for almost 10 years afterwards.
3. Tony Buzan’s techniques caught the interest of the sporting world. As an avid rower himself, he became a mental toughness coach, working with rowers such as 5 time Olympic gold medallist, Sir Steve Redgrave. “Tony Buzan is one of the very few people I have met who really understands so completely how important the brain is to any sportsman or sportswoman – a breakthrough for anyone who wants to go out there and win and for anyone wanting a fitter, healthier and more successful life.” – Sir Steve Redgrave
4. 9,000 children at the Royal Albert Hall in London, UK, were taught Mind Mapping in a super class from Tony Buzan. Tony taught the children about how Mind Mapping helps the brain to generate associations; the key to effective learning and memory.
5. In the 2005 BBC documentary, In Search of Genius, Tony Buzan was asked to undertake a challenge that involved ‘a unique social experiment.’ He worked for 6 months with 6 disadvantaged children, to see whether he could change their behaviours, attitudes and cognitive profiles through Mind Mapping and mental literacy training. The superb results showed that ‘no child is ever a lost cause.’
6. Tony Buzan teamed up with business leader, Chris Griffiths, to create Mind Mapping software, iMindMap; the first software to fully capture the benefits of organic, hand-drawn Mind Mapping on a computer. Now on its 7th version, iMindMap has grown into a powerful tool that can be used to solve complex business problems, develop lesson plans, aid revision and much more.
7. A group of students in Mexico broke the world record with the largest Mind Map that measured a staggering 20 x 25 metres. It was drawn in August 2011 on a huge single-piece of cotton canvas using special acrylic paint. The central topic was dedicated to the XVI Pan-American Games that were held in Guadalajara, Mexico, in October 2011.
8. Tony Buzan’s Introduction to Mind Mapping video, Maximise the Power of your Brain, passed the 1 million views milestone on YouTube. Tony explains the fundamental principles of Mind Mapping, what it is and how they work.
9. The first ThinkBuzan Licensed Instructor Course in Mind Mapping took place in London, UK, in 2011. This kick started the ThinkBuzan Global Network and launched our campaign to spread Mental Literacy across the world. We now have over 700 ThinkBuzan Licensed Instructors over 5 continents across the globe.
10. Steve Molyneux, ThinkBuzan Licensed Instructor and Apple Distinguished Educator, shared his innovative ideas for how Mind Mapping could be applied in new and creative ways in education. Finding innovative teaching methods to keep students engaged is a constant struggle for teachers. Yet Mind Mapping has proven to be one of the best tools to help teachers and students alike to plan, learn, organise and prepare effectively. This was one of our favourite and most popular case studies, so if you haven’t read it already, take a look.
Mind Mapping has come a long way since 1974, and the technique is now being used by millions of people worldwide, from classrooms to boardrooms, and within organisations such as NASA, The United Nations, Apple, Disney and the University of Oxford. To celebrate 40 years of Mind Mapping, and Tony Buzan’s 72nd Birthday, we are offering our new, interactive online course ‘How to Mind Map‘ available to everyone, for free. Available on desktops and as an iPad app. With interactive videos and challenging quizzes, you will learn the fundamentals and practical applications of Mind Mapping.
What is your favourite Mind Mapping moment? Share it with us in the comments below…← Top 10 Tony Buzan Quotes Celebrating 40 years of Mind Mapping – exclusive offers →